Alexandra Headland

Alexandra Headland, known to the locals as ‘Alex’, is a coastal community situated on the Sunshine Coast. The community is located on a beautiful spot on what is known as the Sunshine Strip – it sits between Mooloolaba and Maroochydore. The town with its laid back atomosphere and inviting beaches has become a popular spot for surfers. It is well known that off its rocky headland issome of the best surf on the Queensland coast. Swimmers can also enjoy the rolling beaches as there is a patrolled swimming area provided by the surf club.

The headland has spectacular views to Mount Coolum and north along the sweeping beach to the Maroochy River. Alex is just over 100km fromBrisbane and has a population of 7000.

Alexandra Headland
Potts Point was the original name given to the rocky headland between the estuaries of the Maroochy and Mooloolah Rivers. It was named after John Potts, William Pettigrew’s (prominent land owner and businessman) overseer. It was renamed Alexandra Headland in honour of Queen Alexandra.

The area was formerly part of William Pettigrews 330 acre property. The land was purchased in 1864 at the first land sale in the Maroochy District. Over the next 30 years it was used as Pettigrew’s base for his timber business. The area was fenced as a paddock for the bullocks used to haul logs from Cotton tree across Potts Point to the timber depot at Mooloolaba (nee Mooloolah Heads).

Thomas O’Connor purchased all of this land in 1903. The land was subdivded and sold as allotments along the ocean front and Buderim Road in August 1915. It was during this time that O’Connor renamed the area Alexandra Headland in honour of Queen Alexandra.

Seaside cottages were built on the Headland during the 1920s. These were mostly built by the local residents from Woombye and Palmwoods.

O’Connor developed Alexandra Hostel on 36 acres behind the main surfing beach between 1923 and 1928. This was the first fully integrated resort complex on the Maroochy coast. The endeavour proved unsuccessful and was sold to the Presbyterian Church.

With the ensuing upgrading of transport services and roads as well as further land sales saw the continued progress of Alexandra Healdand as a holidays resort. The Headland now boasted a holiday resort with all facilities, including a patrolled surf beach on its northern edge.

 

You must be logged in to post a comment Login